Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The greatest words a mother can hear..:)

I have often wondered if the words I love you are the best words you can hear from your child. I say them alot to my family and friends and after these past two years I find myself saying it even more. There is a rule in my house now. Say I love you when you leave to go anywhere because you never know if you will have the chance again.

 A few days ago I was cuddling with my son Joey and before he fell asleep he looked at me and said the words I believe every parent NEEDS to hear. He said "Mommy,you make me feel safe". I stared at him as he closed his eyes and I started to tear up.Did I really make him safe? After these past two years of extreme pain and uncertainty did I somehow still manage to sheild him even in a little way?

 We had made the decision early on to never lie to Joey when it came to Michael. It was painful to have to bite my tongue and not just tell Joey that everything would be ok,but he had to know the truth. Friends would tell me to just sugarcoat things for him but we honestly just couldnt do that. He would have never forgiven us if we did that to him.

 So now after these past two years and everything our family has gone through I can honestly sit here and say that when your child tells you that you make him feel safe it really is THE BEST WORDS A PARENT CAN HEAR.

2 comments:

  1. Krissy,
    I'm so glad that you were honest with Joey. There is no guidebook to parenting. The best any of us can do is to lead with our heart. Being honest with Joey shows that your heart was out in front.

    ReplyDelete